Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle


I spent the entirety of this book waffling back and forth between hating it for being a clumsy wad of misogyny and loving it for being a well-crafted picture of a misogynist society.  The jerks who wrote it lured me through the whole thing.  Damn them!

I love the hell out of some classic sci-fi, but I am fully tired of books where every male character is a bro who struts around flexing and winning at big-dick competitions and every female character swoons, cries, and makes silly woman-decisions.  For frig's sake, the book was written in the mid-seventies.  That crap was well-out of style by that point.

I'll give Niven and Pounelle some credit for neat aliens, though.  I liked the aliens.

1 comment:

empty cities said...

Oh, yeah! And another thing. Apparently Robert "I-for-some-reason-feel-compelled-to-assure-my-readers-every-few-pages-that-I-am-totally-not-gay" Heinlien thinks this book is groundbreaking. 'Nuf said.